View and Download the City of Summerville A to Z Resource Guide

Building Inspection and Code Enforcement

Why are building inspections necessary?

Local codes require a permit be issued when work is to be performed on a structure. The inspections that follow the issuance of the permit may uncover unsatisfactory work, faulty materials or violations of the code that could result in unsafe and hazardous conditions for you, your family, your employees or the general public.

What are permits and why do I need one?

Permits are the way the City of Summerville regulates construction. There are several different types of permits, based on the type of construction.

How and where do I get a permit?

Permits are issued by the City Of Summerville located at 8 Georgia Ave. Summerville, Georgia. You can contact the Customer Service Building Team by calling 706-978-0924. On some simple jobs, a permit can be obtained during the first visit. However, in most circumstances, more time will be needed to review the plans in detail prior to issuing any permits.

When don't I need a permit?

Most projects will require permits of some kind (building permits and/or other development Permits). This is necessary to ensure that all buildings meet minimum standards which protect its occupants and neighbors in everyday living and in the case of emergencies or natural disasters. Some minor projects are allowed without obtaining building permits. However, depending upon the project, other permits (development permits, encroachment permits, special activities permits, etc.) may be required. In either case, the construction of such projects should be in conformance with all applicable codes.


City Hall

How do I apply for a business license?

Bring the completed forms (business license application, SAVE, andEmployment Verification Statement) to City Hall and pay the applicable fee. The Codes Inspection Officer will verify that the license application is in line with zoning ordinance rules and regulations. Business License are issued once all paperwork is completed, fee is paid and approved by the Codes Inspection Officer.

How do I register to vote?

Anyone can drop by City Hall at 120 Georgia Avenue, Summerville, GA to pick up a voter's registration form.

Registration can be done at the Chattooga County Registrar's office located at 10017 Commerce, Summerville, GA 30747. For further information call (706) 857-0739.

Voting can also be done by absentee ballet. Please see the Georgia Secretary of State website for additional information.

How do I obtain a marriage license?

Contact the Chattooga County Probate Office located in the Chattooga County Courthouse for Marriage License information. The phone number for the Chattooga County Probate Office is (706) 857-0709.
The City of Summerville does not issue or retain documents associated with Marriage License.

How do I pay city taxes?

The City of Summerville does not have city taxes.


Fire and Emergency Services

Can I burn leaves trash, etc.. on my property?

You can only burn natural vegetation when there is not a burn ban in effect. If you live inside the city limits you can call the Summerville Fire Department at (706) 859-0914 for a permit.

How can I get a copy of a fire report?

A copy of a fire report can be picked up at the Summerville Fire Department during administrative hours: 8 am to 5 pm.

Who do I call if I think I see a building hazard?

Please contact the city code enforcement officer.

How do I schedule a fire safety talk with someone?

You can call the Summerville Fire Department at (706) 859-0914, to set up public education.



Where do you pay citations / tickets?

You can pay your citations and tickets at:
Summerville Police Department
170 Cox Street
Summerville GA 30747

What forms of payment do I need to pay a fine?

We currently only accept cash, money order or cashiers check.

Where do I go for city court?

The City Court is located at:
Chattooga County Courthouse Annex
120 Cox St.
Summerville, GA 30747

Who can I talk to about my court date or citation?
 To discuss a court date or citation, please call the city court clerk at (706) 859-0912.
What is the number for probation?

You can reach the probation office at (706) 859-0933.

What is the number for the animal shelter?

You can get in contact the animal shelter at (706) 857-0679.

What is the phone number for juvenile services?

You may reach the juvenile services at (706) 857-0806.

How do I obtain a background check?

Background checks are done at Chattooga County Sheriffs Office, reach them at (706) 857-3411.

How do I get reports for crashes that Georgia State Patrol worked?

You may reach the Georgia State Patrol at (706) 295-6002 to request reports.

Where do I get copies of incident and accident reports that occurred inside the City limits of Summerville?

You may obtain a copy of incident and accident reports at:
Summerville Police Department
170 Cox Street
Summerville, GA 30747


Public Works and Utilities

Can the City cut a tree on my property?

If you think a tree needs cutting, contact the Street Department at (706)859-0907. They will get your name and address and send a representative out to see if the tree is on City right-of-way. If the tree is on City right-of-way, the Street Department representative will determine if the tree needs cutting. If the tree does in fact need cutting the City will cut and remove the tree. However, if the tree is not on City right-of-way, it will be the property owner’s responsibility to have the tree cut and removed.

I hired a contractor to cut a tree or trim my shrubs; will the City pick up the brush and limbs?

Unfortunately, the City does not dispose of contractor waste. If the property owner cuts or trims themselves, the City will be happy to remove the waste.

I saw a dead animal carcass in the Street, who should I call?

The City will pick up and dispose of the animal carcass provided it is in a City Street. If the carcass is in a County Road or State Highway, that respective Department is responsible for it.

I have trimmed my shrubs and trees and have a large pile of limbs, where should I put them for the City to pick them up?

Place the limbs on the edge of your yard as close to the road as you can get. Please remember not to mix junk or other debris with brush and limbs.

I have cleaned out my shop and have a pile of junk; will the City pick that up?

The City does not pick up junk. The only exception is one time per year the City holds a “clean up week”. During this period is permissible to place junk on the roadside for removal. Any time other than “clean up week” the property owner will be fined and charged for the removal of the junk.

I just hit a pothole with my car why won’t the City repair these potholes?

Unfortunately the City can’t monitor all of its Streets continuously. If you hit a pothole or even just see one, please call (706) 859-0907 and report its location to us and we will be happy to repair it.

My ditch is stopped up, who should I call?

Please contact the Street Department at (706) 859-0907 and they will send someone out promptly to repair it.

How do I obtain a background check?

Background checks are done at Chattooga County Sheriffs Office, reach them at (706) 857-3411.

Who do I call to report a down or missing street sign?

Please contact the Street Department at (706) 859-0907 and they will send someone out promptly to replace or repair it.

Why doesn’t the City clean up the Summerville Cemetery?

Actually, the Cemetery does not belong to the City of Summerville. The Summerville Cemetery is owned and operated by a private group called the Summerville Cemetery Corporation.


Water Pollution Contol

What does a Wastewater Treatment plant do?

Treatment plants remove impurities contained in wastewater. This treated water can then be safely discharged to the environment. This same process occurs in nature. Treatment plants enhance this natural process and speed it up to treat larger volumes of wastewater in a shorter period of time. Treatment includes physical, biological and chemical processes to reclaim the water.

Are Wastewater Treatment systems really necessary?

Your grandparents had to worry about typhoid, cholera and other infectious diseases that are carried in raw sewage. Wastewater treatment systems serve primarily to protect the health of the general population by insuring that water sources remain clean. In today's world, people live a lot longer and in higher concentrations resulting in increased volumes of raw sewage. Modern wastewater treatment systems are critical to a safer, cleaner environment by reducing the organic load, and controlling bacteria and waterborne diseases.

How can I be sure that the Wastewater Treatment facility is doing its job?

The City of Summerville has one Wastewater Treatment Facilities which is regulated by the United States Environmental Protection Agency (USEPA) and the Georgia Environmental Protection Division (GAEPD). These agencies perform random testing of the facilities' effluent. The USEPA, through the GAEPD, issues a National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) Permit. Included in the NPDES permit are specific guidelines concerning the testing of the facilities' effluent.

The City of Summerville performs lab analyses 3 days-a-week which the NPDES permit requires. Our facilities average 2 Mg/L BOD and 4 Mg/L suspended solids in their effluent, or roughly 12% and 10% respectively, of the allowable maximum limits under the City's NPDES permit. Reclaimed water from our wastewater plant is discharged directly into a surface waterway, with a part of it sent from a reuse pumping station to a local industry.

How do I schedule a tour of a Wastewater Treatment facility?

Plant tours can be requested and are conducted at this facility, mentioned above. For more information, or to schedule a tour, call 706-859-0918.


Water Treatment

Where does my water come from?

Your water is withdrawn from Raccoon Creek and treated at the Summerville Water Treatment Facility, tributaries within this area feed into Raccoon Creek. Water from the Lowe Spring Plant is pumped directly from the Spring, filtered and after the addition of chlorine and fluoride the water is pumped into the distribution system.  The Spring consistently produces high quality drinking water.

The Northwest Georgia Water Supply Water Shed Based Regional Source Water Assessment describes the watershed and water supply system.  This study identifies potential sources of pollution in the watershed.  The watershed is forest and pasture land with wildlife and livestock populations and some residential areas with septic tanks.  DNR has a fish hatchery on a spring fed tributary of Raccoon Creek north of the intake.  Raccoon Creek is a tributary of the Chattooga River.  This rural water shed is small and includes about a 25 Square mile area. Included as potential sources of pollution for Raccoon Creek: 8 Bridges, 1 dairy operation, 1 fuel facility, 1 NPDS permit holder and 1 RCRA.

How is my water treated?

In order to ensure that your tap water is safe to drink the EPA prescribes regulations, which limits the amount of certain contaminants in water provided by public water systems. The FDA regulations establish limits for contaminants in bottled water, which must provide the same protection for public health. The Raccoon Creek Water Facility is equipped with state of the art laboratory equipment to closely monitor water quality. Water is tested for more than 80 drinking water parameters. We work with the City of Summerville’s water distribution system to bring the best possible water to our customers.

How would I know about a problem with the water supply?

The water plant operators keep close watch on the water supply. If there is a problem with your water, you will get the news by radio , television, newspapers, from the City of Summerville or State Water Officials.

How do I schedule a tour of a Water Treatment facility?

Plant tours can be requested and are conducted at this facility, mentioned above. For more information, or to schedule a tour, call 706-859-0908.

Additional Info

City Hall
Janice Galloway,City Manager
120 Georgia Avenue
Summerville, GA  30747

 Phone: 706-859-0900
 Fax: 706-859-0845

Office Hours:
M-F 8:00-5:00

Thank you for your upload