Annual Christmas Parade
December 5 @ 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm
Reverse Christmas Parade
“When Christmas Comes To Town”
Saturday, December 5, 2020 – 6-8 P.M.
Rules and Regulations
For the purpose of controlling traffic, pedestrian congestion and providing public health, safety and general welfare, the following regulations shall pertain to all parades and assemblies conducted within the City:
- All CHRISTMAS PARADE entries must be decorated with Christmas –themed decorations ( religious or secular)
- All entries shall be in assigned place completed for judging at 5:15 p.m. and shall remain in place until 8:15
- No parade participant shall bare firearms or other weapons of any type whatsoever, or bricks, bats, sticks, rocks, bottles, shields, or other items which may be used as weapons.
- The materials used in construction of the floats in the parade shall be of fire-retardant materials and shall be subject to such requirements concerning fire safety as may be determined by the Fire Chief, Robbie Lathem.
- All floats will be limited to 10 participants and follow CDC Guidlines.
- The parade shall strictly follow the route designated in the permit application as submitted to the City Manager, Janice Galloway.
- Santa Claus Suites are not allowed.
- Literature, publication leaflets, or other written material shall not be distributed along the parade route.
- The applicant shall advise all participants in the parade, either orally or by written notice, of the terms and conditions of the permit, prior to the commencement of the parade; and shall sign the acknowledgement that the permit has been read, understands, and will comply with the regulations specified in this article and conditions of the permit and has advised all participants and so required in this subsection.
Parade Application (download both pages)
Registration cost is $25. The registration deadline for this event is Monday, November 30 at 12 noon. For additional information contact the Summerville Recreation Department at 706-859-0910 or Summerville Main Street at 706-859-0900.
Download, Print, and Submit Completed Applications to the Summerville Recreation Department.
Additional Event Information
The City of Summerville Christmas Parade will look a little different this year! With earlier city-sponsored special events put on hold this year due to COVID-19, officials were determined to think outside of the box concerning the annual Christmas parade and come up with a safe solution. In order to safely hold its annual Christmas Parade during the Coronavirus Pandemic, the city will be taking a different approach. Instead of the usual format, Summerville will host a “reverse parade,” with stationary floats and displays.
The set-up will be similar to a drive-through holiday lights display and will allow for spacing between parade entrants, allowing those looking for Christmas cheer to simply drive-through and enjoy the scenery from the safety of their vehicle. In addition, while driving through the reverse parade, sounds of the season may be enjoyed on 99.1 FM Real Country WZQZ.
The event is scheduled for for December 5 from 6 until 8 p.m. The parade route will begin on University Street along Dowdy Park, turning north onto East Washington Street. The route will extend to West Washington Street, allowing vehicles to loop around at the Summerville United Methodist Church and return back down East Washington Street to exit on Economy Street.
Santa has been made aware of the changes and will be located at the end of the parade route, as always, excited to wave to all the children riding by.
The theme for this year’s event is “Christmas Comes To Town.” Churches, businesses, organizations, and residents wishing to participate this year are asked to decorate according to the theme, which may also include The Twelve Days of Christmas. Trophies will be awarded by the Summerville Recreation Department for the top 3 float entries and prize monies in the amount of $250.00 for 1st Place, $100.00 for 2nd Place, and $75.00 for 3rd Place will be awarded by Summerville Main Street.
Entrants must provide their own power (if needed). Electrical access will not be available.
Floats are encouraged to participate, as always, but so are displays and live nativities. Please make note that entries will be limited this year to 50, due to limited space.